Please help support the cost of this site.
|Submitted by Tom Evans on Fri, 06/24/2016 - 01:40|
ElCap Report 6/23/16
By Tom Evans
Yo… The Captain is still seeing a shortage of climbers in the late June heat. So the Report is a thin one… and it seems my dedicated readers would like to see oldies more than recent shots. Accordingly, I am posting another batch of oldies for your enjoyment.
Today’s ElCap Report…written just for you…unique in all the world!
1) I saw Max Kruzic fixing on Zodiac this afternoon, and I got this shot as he was finishing the 2nd pitch. He later got sick from the heat and bailed.
2) On the Trip Paul and Suzanne are moving quickly along. Suzanne led the first two pitches of the day and he was leading when I departed this afternoon. Here he is on the 10th pitch this afternoon.
3) The NA crew made the Cyclopes Eye bivy yesterday and are seen here on the pitch leading to the high traverse of the Eye.
4) The Nose had a speedy NIAD team who knew how to look good climbing. Here Justin Ray Cory is leading while his partner, Gabriel Mazur, is short fixed, clearing the Roof. They threw down a 9:47.... Sweet!!
OLDIES, OLDIES, AND MORE OLDIES!
5) Tucker Tech is seen here leading the traverse in the Gray Bands to the start of the upper Muir on our 1989 climb.
6) Here I am cleaning a pitch high in the final dihedral of the Muir.
7) Bryan McCray and Roxanna Brock are hauling loads on Mescalito back in the late 90’s.
8) British Nose team, 2003 I think.
9) Bob Williams and I on top of Sentinel rock after climbing the Chouinard Herbert route, in 1969. Chuck Pratt took the shot.
10) My first cover photo in Summit magazine… I am leading the pitch above camp 6 on the Nose in 1971. Paul Sibley photo.
11) On top of La Escuela, on a hot July day in 1967, during my first trip to Yosemite. I was 23 and in the Army on leave.
12) Erik Sloan and Laurie Stowe at the Bridge on a rainy day.
13) Pinky is giving the new lads the low down on Camp 4.
14) Big Guns at the Bridge… Jimmy, Alex, Mikey, and Jon.
15) Kids at the Bridge… and one old man too! Ooops..another old man... behind the camera is Gene Malone! Someone showed up with the Cobras...probably Gene!
16) This Bridge shot has the famous “Spray Brothers” (Aaron and Mikey, on the left, without shirts) along with most of the regular crew.
17) Alex, me, and Hans at the Bridge on the day of their Nose Record of 2:23:52.
18) Sean Leary, Laurie Stowe, ?, and Dean Potter in the EC meadow, checking on Scott Stowe during a break in a storm.
So that’s the way it is, on this Thursday, the 23rd day of June, 2016.