Please help support the cost of this site.
|Submitted by Tom Evans on Tue, 09/22/2015 - 01:46|
ElCap Report 9/21/15
By Tom Evans
Yo.. Here in Yosemite, it has been way too hot for this time of year. So, many teams have delayed their climbs until the hot spell passes. There have been quite a few bails due to the weather and the great cliff is now mostly empty. Tomorrow is the start of the Yosemite Facelift, and the heat is up too, so don’t expect to get a Report every day for a while.
Today’s ElCap Report..written just for you.. unique in all the world!
1) Zodiac: All the teams higher on the route topped out yesterday. The three person team low down yesterday failed to show today and their ropes were also gone. However this intrepid climber lead and cleaned pitch one today.
2) Over to the west, Marek and Magda climbed a couple more pitches on the Pacific Ocean Wall today.
3) El Nino: The German team of Julian and Nico climbed off the route late this afternoon. I couldn’t tell if they were sending or not. Here they are climbing out of the Cyclops Eye this morning.
4) By afternoon the German team had moved out of the vicinity of the Cyclops Eye and onto the shattered diorite to the left of the Igloo.
The three man team on the NA Wall bailed from the top of the 9th pitch late yesterday, citing the heat for their demise.
5) Mescalito: The two man team didn’t make the Ship’s Bow last evening but did in late morning.
6) They didn’t stay long on the Bow and soon had a leader heading up the long, next to the last pitch. They should be off by now.
7) Over on the 3D, Nose section, Pete, Anita, and Mike occupied Camp 5 last night and were moving toward Camp 6 for the night. Maybe off tomorrow??
8) I spotted a three man team on the Boot this morning. I am not sure who they are. They were using the three man system to their advantage and were finishing the Great Roof when I departed.
9) Justin and Becky, from Atlanta GA, climbed above Dolt Tower but Justin lost the battle with the kit and ended up with a hernia and they wisely came down from the route. Here Becky is finishing the rappel do Dolt Tower.
10) Salathe: I spotted these two guys, a couple above Hollow Flake, this morning and by afternoon were well on their way to the Alcove. Here they are on the pitch above the Ear.
In other news: An all woman’s team, is going to make an attempt at the Salathe in a day (SIAD) tomorrow. A woman’s team has yet to climb the route in a day. Also, a couple of NIAD’s are in the mix too. I am managing to scrape up some internet on most days but if I don’t have a report posted on some days I will get one up as soon as I can. Hang in there…I’m doing the best I can!
So that’s the way it is, for this Monday, the 21st day of September, 2015.
Capt. Tom…your man on scene.