Please help support the cost of this site.
|Submitted by Tom Evans on Mon, 06/06/2016 - 02:07|
ElCap Report 6.4.16
By Tom Evans
Yo… It started out clear and hot but soon high clouds covered the sky and a nice breeze came up and life was bearable again! The weekend traffic kept me from doing this report on time but here it is now. Interesting action on the Cap today… read about it below.
Today’s ElCap Report…written just for you..unique in all the world!
1) The old Captain looked pretty good when the weird clouds came in and later filled the sky.
2) Zodiac: I don’t know who these guys are but they dressed well on their starting day.
Over on the Trip a team of Korean climbers fixed two today.
Sam and Rhett fixed a few on the NA Wall and plan on blasting tomorrow.
Nose: Not many parties on the Nose today and those who were spread out well enough.
3) I think this is a Spanish Team climbing the Texas Flake.
4) I did spot this team of two women in the legs this afternoon. They are not fast but appear determined and that is more than half the battle up on the Cap!
5) I did see a couple of teams on the Salathe/Freerider and this one went for the traditional pitch above the Ear.
6) Out west on Octopussy, John continues to knock off the pitches in the warm afternoon.
7) Kate is moving well over on Lost World to Squeeze Play and should be done tomorrow. I am not sure how or if she is going to the top of the rock.
8) As you know I don’t shoot Lurking Fear but did see this guy on the edge of the wall for a few moments and took the shot.
OLDIES BUT GOODIES!
9) Upper and Lower Yosemite Falls in a midnight shot taken years ago on a slide and digitally copied.
10) Another, more distant shot, of Yosemite Falls at night.
11) Steve and Cal Gerberding, taken some years ago when they were just down from ElCap.
12) Amee Hinkley hanging in the meadow in her younger days!!
13) A young Miles Smart, Dean Potter, and Warren Hollinger many years ago.
In other news: Josie didn’t make the solo NIAD she went for a few days back… lack of water, heat, and exhaustion forced her to sleep at Camp 5, after 18 hours of climbing. She climbed off in the morning. It was a fine effort and she is to be congratulated!
So that’s the way it is, on this Saturday, the 4th day of June, 2016.
Capt. Tom… headed to the ranch… no way I am driving to the lodge in this traffic!