Please help support the cost of this site.
|Submitted by Tom Evans on Fri, 05/27/2016 - 02:39|
ElCap Report 5/26/16
By Tom Evans
Yo… The improved weather forecast has driven the multitudes toward ElCap. No rain today but a lot of clouds floated overhead. The weekend is coming soon and the traffic around the loop is pretty congested already. So heed the warning and stay away this weekend!
THE WEEKEND WILL PRESENT PROBLEMS FOR ME TO DO THE REPORT SO YOU MAY NOT SEE ANYTHING FOR A FEW DAYS.. DEPENDS ON THE TRAFFIC AND MY ABILITY TO GET FROM EC TO THE LODGE. I WILL BE HERE SHOOTING AND WILL CATCH UP WHEN I CAN. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE!
Today’s ElCap Report…written just for you..unique in all the world!
Zodiac: I spotted some fast climbers doing the free start to the route. I recognized “hot” Brad Gobright, climbing in the dark rock. I don’t know his partners name but they were smoking up the route with no bags and looked to be on a ZIAD. Brad has only been here a couple of weeks and has alread climbed 6 or 7 ElCap Routes... more than hot!
1) Brad climbing in the black rock.
Corey and Kim climbed the Black Tower this morning and were in the Circle this afternoon.
2) Black Tower.
3) Leader climbing into the Circle. Notice the Lightning Bolt Roofs on the left of the shot... part of ZM.
Shortest Straw: The two Polish climbers did well on the route today and could be off late today or early tomorrow.
4) The team finishing the Saw Blade Flake pitch out of the White Circle.
5) Here they are on the pitch after the Saw Blade.
Kaos: Next door to the Straw crew is Brandon Adams and Tito. They are marching up the route and now are on the ZM portion.
6) Brandon(?) leading on some weird rock, just above the White Circle.
7) Aurora: Mark Hudon is planning on doing two pitches a day but was faster than that today. Here he is next to the famous “Black Cat.”
8) Atlantic Ocean: Chris and Nathan spent the day right here, under the roof.
The Nose: Lots of traffic on this mega classic line. Two teams are high on the route, as you can see in the next two shots.
9) Great Roof pitch.
10) Pitch above the Glowering Spot.
11) Lower down, in the Stovelegs, several teams were plugging along, dealing with the traffic.
12) This team was in the lead and are seen here climbing above Dolt Tower.
13) This is the first of two teams I saw today in the vicinity of the Hollow flake. The leader here was actually wearing a cammo outfit! Not good! Cammo = no pics!
14) NNL: I talked to Mason this morning after he came down with Nik to take a rest and restock some provisions. Niels stayed up and worked the upper part of the route alone. Sorry about the lack of quality in this shot... it was a long way away and was the best I could get.
In other news: Several more teams are in the early stages of fixing and hauling freight to the base. More about these teams as they blast.
So that’s the way it is, for this Thursday, the 26th day of May, 2016.