Please help support the cost of this site.
|Submitted by Tom Evans on Fri, 10/03/2014 - 23:47|
ElCap Report 10/2/14
By Tom Evans
Yo… It doesn’t get any better than today was here in Yosemite! We need replacements up on the Cap as most of the teams on the wall have, or are about to, top out. Nice surprise at the end of the regular shots below, so be sure to take a look! Trade routes still dominate the climbing with the exception of just one team.
Today’s ElCap Report…written just for you…unique in all the world!
1) Zodiac: Jeff and Caleb topped out this afternoon. Here they are on the friction pitch, which is the next to last pitch on the route.
Trip: Neil and Maria topped out late in the afternoon.
Nose: Still the main attraction of ElCap, there were many parties spread all over the route. That’s where the majority of the action was today.
2) Ottawa Doug and partner Dennis finished this afternoon.
3) A couple of NIAD teams were on the route. Here is one of those teams climbing off Eagle ledge. The belayer needs to “GET A BRIGHT SHIRT!!” WORST DRESSED CLIMBER OF THE DAY!!
4) Reaching for gear on the Great Roof.
5) Crossing the Gray Bands Traverse.
6) Long shot of the Changing Corners pitch.
7) BEST DRESSED TEAM OF THE SEASON!! Top of Pancake Flake.
8) Son of Heart: Scot Richards belays while above, somewhere, jammed into the tight corner, is Mark Hudon.
9) Salathe Headwall.
Lower down the team of Andy and Kalvin climbed to the Ear and were starting that pitch as I left.
SPECIAL ATTRACTION!! Neils and Liz climbed to Long ledge yesterday and this morning Lisa entertained those watching with a death defying series of cool maneuvers hanging from silk. When I saw her for the first time, the Bridge Crew gathered around the camera and hooting and hollering, watched the show on my screen. Very impressive!!
10) Liz doing her thing.
11) More cool stuff!
In other news: The Canadian team of Dom, John, and Pete made it down last night and hung out at the Bridge today, basking in the glory this morning.
12) Tamas and Ben did make the first Hungarian ascent of the Nose in a day, throwing down a 19 hour + time! Here they are at the Bridge… the lads looked to be in excellent shape… or perhaps just very hungry!
Big news coming your way tomorrow, as some shit hot local talent are going for a record on a famous ElCap route. Stay tuned for all the details… hush, hush for now.
So that’s the way it is, for this Thursday, the 2nd day of October, 2014.