Please help support the cost of this site.
|Submitted by Tom Evans on Sun, 10/18/2015 - 14:29|
ElCap Report 10/18/15 Pictures have been added! Check them out!
By Tom Evans
Yo…Horrendous weather has befallen us, here in Yosemite. Torrential rains have pounded the Valley for a full day now and once again the falls are roaring. Camp 4 is a swamp of misery. Around 2am this morning I heard a low rumble, far out to the west. Soon a storm cell exploded over ElCap with tremendous thunder and intense lightning. Thunder was soon reverberating around the valley and I can assure you no one slept through it. It continued raging until 5am, when a steady rain resumed. It was a wonderful, awe inspiring display of the power of nature. Just now, 7:23am, a huge flash of lightning and a tremendous crash of thunder burst over Camp 4. Tremendous hail storm right now!! Wow!! I know not how the teams on ElCap have fared, but I can tell you it will be a night anyone up there will never forget! I will post more later in the day, when I can assess the conditions better. Later... we had a nice afternoon and tomorrow looks really good, as the rain has moved on. Things on the Cap are looking good and there have been no problems thus far.
Today's ElCap Report..written just for you..unique in all the world!
1) Yosemite falls this morning.
2) My tent in a wet camp 4. Three different streams of water are running under it at the moment! But the $89 tent, from Big Five, my home 3 months out of the year, is keeping me dry so far!
3) another shot of the water world in camp 4.
4) Glad this is not my tent. The stream of water coming from it is one of the ones running under my tent!
5) Camp 4... the fun never ends!
6) An empty ElCap line up. Notice the new fence along the edge of the ElCap meadow. It directs people to regular trails so the meadow will not have so many trails crossing it.
7) ElCap looking soaked.
8) Rough sailing on the Sea of Dreams. Steve and Paul are doing fine up on Big Sur ledge.
9) Riding out the Tempest. Pete and the crew report all is well thus far.
10) TOM'S SHOT OF THE DAY! NZ Team at ElCap Tower.
11) Tunnel view this morning.
So that's the way it is, for this Sunday, the 18th day of October, 2015
Capt. Tom … soggy but hanging on here.